        -----Original Message-----
        From: Arved Sandstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Tue 11/26/2002 6:42 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: RE: Alt-Design status: XML handling

        >>Actually, it really matters where the events are coming from. An HTTP server
        has no control over how many requests it gets, so your description above is
        apt. But for FOP (disregarding FOPServlet) everything is one process - the
        XML parser, the formatter, the renderer - so it's ultimately procedural;
        there may be an internal boundary where an event/callback system is used,
        but it's all one thread so nothing queues up at all.<<

        Yes...as I said, I caught myself off-guard because I tend to use an event
model only when I need to multicast an event or when I need to be able to send events
between two threads.  With the single thread you're describing, performance hits I
describe aren't an issue.  There can be other issues there, but I really don't want to
bother because I know they're not relevant.

        Peter's case for not wanting event-driven is much more sound, and I have to
say I agree with it.

<<winmail.dat>>