Peter S. Housel wrote:
"Arved Sandstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Well, Java or C or C++ or Haskell, it would have been nice to have a clue.

We have an ASF tradition of developing communities...this kind of stuff
that

Sun and IBM does is getting old. Don't open-source it; sell it. I will
argue

against its adoption into Apache.

Googling for xmlroff yields:

http://www.plurb.com/webservices/UBL4.pdf

Looks like they want to donate it to Gnome, not Apache.

Despite your not wanting to sound bitter, your protest still sounds bitter
anyway.
Peter, Arved,

In spite of Arved's protestations, I think he has reason to be bitter. I don't want to criticise a particular company, and especially not any particular individuals, but I think this incident underlines some endemic problems in the relationship between the corporate software world and the Open Source world. I am well aware of the enormous contributions to OSS of various corporations (Sun, IBM and Netscape spring immediately to mind.)

I think, however, that these problems extend right into the standards development process itself. I should like to ponder these issues a little longer, and then perhaps take them up in a wider forum.

Peter B. West [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"