Hi Rainer,

Thanks for the detailed bug report.

The problem appears to be a complex interaction on the LineLayoutManager and
the InlineStackingLayoutManager when it handles hyphenation. It is getting mixed
up with the inline areas and not setting up the starting area properly.
It may not be resetting or removing some inline areas properly.

At the moment I would prefer to try to improve the way that system works rather
than doing a direct fix.
It appears at the moment that the current approach is prone to problem both with
understanding and with keeping track of all the various states and objects. This
could make it unstable in the long term.

Keiron.

> Since several weeks there is a nullpointer exception in
InlineStackingLayoutManager.
> The appended fo file is the shortest example I can construct to reproduce the
error
> (using Java 1.3.1_04 on Linux and snapshot xml-fop_20030308173134.tar.gz).
>
> Remarks:
>
> Removing text-align"justify" there is no exception
> Removing hyphenate="true" language="de" there is no exception
> Removing <fo:inline> and </fo:inline> there is no exception
>
> There is also no exception in the following case:
> <fo:inline>
> Beantwoord deze vraag met ja, als u met de Cancel bewerking wilt doorgaan,
waarop de functie anders
> </fo:inline>
>
> Regards
> Rainer Garus
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
> <fo:layout-master-set>
>    <fo:simple-page-master margin-right="25.4mm" margin-left="25.4mm"
>                           page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm" master-
name="simple">
>      <fo:region-body/>
>    </fo:simple-page-master>
> </fo:layout-master-set>
>
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
> <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>
> <fo:block text-align="justify" start-indent="1.3cm"
>            font-size="12pt" font-family="Times" hyphenate="true" language="de">
> <fo:inline>
> Beantwoord deze vraag met ja, als u met de Cancel bewerking wilt doorgaan,
waarop de
> functie anders
> </fo:inline>
> </fo:block>
>
> </fo:flow>
> </fo:page-sequence>
> </fo:root>
>
> [INFO] 1.0dev
> [DEBUG] Building formatting object tree
> [DEBUG] Current heap size: 720Kb
> [DEBUG] Word to hyphenate: functie
> Exception occured with a null error message
> org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
>          at org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run
(CommandLineStarter.java:117)
>          at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:68)
>
> ---------
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>          at org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.InlineStackingLayoutManager.initChildLC
(InlineStackingLayoutManager.java:351)