Hi,

I just decided that I can't figure out what - according to the standard -
should exactly happen if you have multiple columns in your body region and
mix top-level fo:blocks of span=all with others of span=1. Perhaps one of
you already found something...

I can see how the span-reference-areas need to be spaced horizontally
(let's assume western writing modes for simplicity). And I can see that
mixing top-level fo:blocks of different spans (at least "1" and "all") is
allowed, though only for fo:blocks that direct children of fo:flow.

But as for stacking the areas into the columns? Let's say we have scenario
3 (see below). Let's further assume that all content *could* fit on one
page. But from how I read the spec, what would just happen is that first
blocks are stacked into the first column until it's full. Then blocks are
stacked into the next column. Let's say the second column would become
about half full. Now for the following fo:block with span=all. There's no
way to get a fitting area from that page - except of course if the block
areas in the columns would be rearranged so that each of the columns is
about half full. With FOP, this is roughly what seems to happen (not
exactly, tough). But why? The spec doesn't seem to specify (or even allow)
that.

Any ideas?

Scenarios: (always column-count=3)

Scenario 1 (just blocks with span=all):
ABC
ABC
ABC

ok, no problems.

Scenario 2 (block with span=all, then blocks with span=1)
AAA
BCD
BCD

clear so far.

Scenario 3 (blocks with span=1, THEN 1 block with span=all

Does this happen (let's assume content for the columns is able to fill
about half the page):
ABC
ABC
DDD