I don't think t1font-file.xsl and ttffontfile.xsl are in use any more.
The first version of font embedding worked just as the creation of the 14
standard fonts: You had to create a metric file, and then use
t1font-file.xsl or ttffontfile.xsl to create a java source file containing
the metrics (I think the 14 standardfonts stille use font-file.xsl for this
purpose?).

I don't think these files have been updated lately, and that they will
probably generate invalid code - so basically they could be removed.

Tore