Thanx Manuel,

The problem turned out to be a utility class using JAI that
preprocesses the image and, if image format not specified, defaults
to JPEG ... NASTY.

For some reason, too, JAI will not read a tiff that we compress using
group 3 1D or 2D encoding.

For the time being will continue to use png images, however, still
unhappy with the amount of memory and processing time this requires.

Angus