On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:59:07PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >I'd be interested to know if any other users experience this problem, and
> >also why Cocoon needs a recompiled FOP jar in the first place.
>
> Me too, as I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you described,
> with jimi.jar on the classpath. Even worse, there isn't a supported
> version of JAI for Mac OSX.
>
> With the latest binary release version of FOP, I have no problems at
> all, so unless someone objects, I'll revert to that one.

+1

While you're at it, we should consider replacing Cocoon's Batik with that
from FOP 0.20.5.  Building FOP's site with CVS Forrest (fop 0.20.5 +
Batik from CVS) results in this error:

* [0] dev/svg/text.svg
org.apache.batik.bridge.UnitProcessor.createContext(Lorg/apache/batik/bridge/BridgeContext;Lorg/w3c/dom/Element;)Lorg/apache/batik/util/UnitProcessor$Context;
        at org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElement.layout(SVGElement.java:218)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.flow.InstreamForeignObject.layout(InstreamForeignObject.java:251)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:257)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:154)

Apparently this is a symptom of FOP requiring its own version of Batik:

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-users/2003-June/035132.html
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-dev/archives/msg03372.html

When I switch in FOP's Batik, the problem disappears.  So I've committed
it for Forrest.

It's not clear-cut though.  Quoting the first referenced email:

  "This [using FOP's Batik] may have negative impacts on Cocoons SVG
  serializer though, so you should not use a PDF generating pipeline
  which uses embedded or referenced SVGs and a SVG generating pipeline at
  the same time.

Cc'ing fop-dev's who better know the pros and cons of this move.

--Jeff