[Glen Mazza]

It's been in that location for at least several
months--it's just that we never saw it because it was
autogenerated and never checked into CVS.  (As for its
location--it is used by the FO classes and it also has
some FO constants and other enumerations in there, so
it is OK remaining there, I think.)

I think Peter was refering to the fact that you placed the file in the src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/ directory, but it used to be in the org.apache.fop.fo.properties. package. Indeed, the package statement in the Constants still reads package org.apache.fop.fo.properties;

So you really should move the file from
   src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/Constants.java
   src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/properties/Constants.java

[...](e.g., like Finn, I have a slight
preference for a constants
interface--Constants.java--that classes can implement,
rather than a constants class--PropNames.java.)

Right, but methods that can map constants->string and string->constants is still needed and must be placed in a class somewhere. I happened to put the methods in the FOPropertyMapping class.

Also, while I used fo:element constants in my experiment, it is clear to me that such an approach does not work well for extension elements.

regards,
finn