Peter B. West wrote:
Paul,

The difference that immediately occurs to me is that fo:retrieve-marker can logically occurs after the layout of region-body, and, because the dimensions of those regions which are the targets of static-content are size-constrained by the applied master-page. This simplifies the resolution of the marker.

I'll say that again.

The difference that immediately occurs to me is that fo:retrieve-marker can logically occur after the layout of region-body, and, because the dimensions of the target regions of static-content are size-constrained by the applied page-master, the layout of those markers can have no impact on the layout of region-body. This simplifies the resolution of the fo:retrieve-markers.