--- "Peter B. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Finn Bock]

> > You should perhaps also be aware that the values
> in a static array gets
> > assigned to the array one element at a time. So
> >
> >     static int[] a = {
> 101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108 };
> >
> > becomes in bytecodes:
> >
> > Method static {}
> >    0 bipush 8
> >    2 newarray int
> >    4 dup
> >    5 iconst_0

Hmmm...Are you saying that declaring a static array
isn't much (any?) faster than manually creating one?
I didn't realize that there is code being run for
static arrays--I would have thought the compiled
bytecode just includes the array internally, and not
the code to create it.  (i.e., if you opened the
bytecode you would see an array 101 102 103 104...
sitting someplace.)  Isn't that how C works, at least?

Sigh...I guess I *didn't* know bytecode by heart after
all!  ;-)

Glen