On the lighter side (a bit off-topic!), I was reading up on switching my Unix shell under Mac OS X, from tcsh (default sh under pre-10.3) to bash (default under 10.3+), and I noticed that Apache FOP was mentioned:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/02/24/bash.html?page=2

It's a bit down the page, so here's the quote:

  The shell and related tools require certain variables to be
  defined (such as ), but other tools may need their own
  environment variables. In the event that you are missing a
  required variable, chances are the related program will fail
  safely and let you know what needs to be defined, as does
  Apache's fop:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/mac/2004/02/24/graphics/fop.jpg

We must be doing something right, if we're being used as an example (even if it is referring to how nicely FOP reacts when it fails)!

:-)