on-the-fly font discovery: Specify a directory and FOP finds all the
compatible fonts in there without the need for manual font metrics
creation. So this is something else.

font aliases: Mapping Arial to Helvetica, for example. Mapping font
characteristics is somewhat hardcoded already into FOP, though on a very
primitive level only. See FontUtil.

On 12.04.2004 14:55:35 Peter B. West wrote:
> It seems to me that, at some point, we have to map from this set of
> properties to the font characteristics of the renderer in question.
>
> Is this what you mean by on-the-fly font discovery and font aliases?

Jeremias Maerki