On 13.04.2004 14:47:02 Peter B. West wrote:
> Fop-dev font-devs,
>
> My reading of the Javadocs for both 1.4.2 and 1.3.1 has turned up some
> interesting questions.  Since 1.3.1 (at least), java.awt.Font has
> defined constants for CENTER_BASELINE, HANGING_BASELINE and
> ROMAN_BASELINE.  These correspond to the Central, Hanging and Alphabetic
> baselines of the Rec at 7.8.1 Fonts and Font Data, which includes:
> <quote>
> XSL assumes that the font tables will provide at least three font
> characteristics: an ascent, a descent and a set of baseline-tables.
> </quote>
>
> The Rec actually aligns ideographic text on the Ideographic baseline,
> but this seems to have a fixed relationship to the Central.
>
> Does the baseline discussion in the Rec have any echo in FOP?  Are
> baseline tables implemented?

No idea and I don't think so. Up to date we are lucky to have
non-ISO-8859-1 characters display at all. I think Keiron started working
on BIDI, and Karen had quite some knowledge, too. But I don't think it
got any farther than that.

We've got the ascender, the descender, the X/Cap-height and that's the
three values that determine the placement of characters right now. See
FontMetrics.java.

> Mind you, I don't yet know whether the baseline constants from Java are
> actually used anywhere.

Neither do I, but trusting Eclipse's reference search, the answer is: no,
they aren't in use, not even in JDK 1.4.

Sorry for being of no use here.

Jeremias Maerki