Batik and FOP committers,

let's do it. I would like the Batik and FOP committers to vote on the
proposed resolution to create the XML Graphics project comprised of the
two XML subprojects Batik and FOP. I hope everyone knows by now what the
overall plan (See [1]) looks like and what the motivation behind it is.

[1]
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/XMLGraphicsPMCDiscussion

In addition to approving the resolution, we also need to determine the
initial list of PMC members and a chair.  PMC membership is open to all
committers.  Remember that the PMC is the entity responsible to the
Board for ensuring that the project is in the best interests of the ASF.
This means providing oversight of the code base for any legal issues,
authorizing releases on behalf of the ASF, establishing and maintaining
a charter and a set of rules to ensure a healthy community, and guiding
the long-term direction for the project.

If you are a committer and are interested in serving as a member of the
XML Graphics PMC, please indicate you are interested when casting your
vote.  Also, please vote your preference for the initial chair of the
PMC, or indicate if you are interested in volunteering as chair.  Note
that the chair does not have any greater decision-making ability than
any other PMC member.  The chair is just the person who keeps things
moving and helps get to a consensus.  The chair is also the liaison
between the PMC and the Apache Board.

Finally, please vote following the form below

(please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] only, I'll post the results on
both dev lists afterwards).

PART A
------
[ ] +1 - The attached resolution should be submitted to the
         Board for the formation of the XML Graphics project.

[ ] -1 - The attached resolution is not suitable.  I have a
         recommendation to improve it.

PART B
------
[ ]      I volunteer to be a member of the initial XML Graphics
         PMC.

PART C
------
[ ]      I nominate myself as chair
[ ]      I nominate ______________

This vote will close at 23:59 GMT, Tuesday July 6, 2004:
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=6&month=7&year=2004&hour=23&min=59

The proposed resolution:

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software related to the conversion of XML formats to
graphical output, for distribution at no charge to the public.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC),
to be known as the "Apache XML Graphics PMC", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache XML Graphics PMC be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software for managing the conversion
of XML formats to graphical output, and for related software components,
based on software licensed to the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache XML Graphics" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache XML
Graphics PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache XML Graphics
PMC; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache XML Graphics
PMC:

    Person1
    Person2
    Person3
    etc....

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mr. ?????? be and hereby is
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache XML Graphics, to serve
in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation,
retirement, removal or disqualification, or until a successor is
appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache XML Graphics PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
development and increased participation in the Apache XML Graphics
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial XML Graphics PMC be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Batik and FOP Apache XML
subprojects; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Batik and FOP
sub-projects and encumbered upon the Apache XML PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Jeremias Maerki

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Cliff Schmidt for his excellent suggestion
about how to get this done. I hope you don't mind my borrowing some of
your text. It fits sooo nicely. :-)