On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:41:52PM -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2004-08-03 12:41 -------
> These are the new methods added; at the moment, I added them to the
> LayoutManager interface, but maybe it could be better to create a new
> interface implementd only by LM returning inline areas.

I think it is, but that can come later.

> - word spacing and letter spacing are now fully implemented, they can both
> have MinOptMax values; but I am still thinking about how to differentiate a
> user-defined zero value from a default zero value ...

You cannot. A default value is a user-defined value supplied by the
system to save the user the trouble of always having to enter a
value. It is just a convenience, and you cannot attach a different
meaning to it.

> - text-align-last is partially implemented; text-align-last = "justify" works
> only if text-align = "justify" too; this is because Knuth's algorithm doesn't
> provide for a different alignment for the last line.

TeX uses glue to achieve this, \parfillskip. It is the special amount
of glue appended to the last line. In the TeXbook, p. 99, Knuth
describes it as 'the special trick that allows the final line of a
paragraph to be shorter than the others'. Setting \parfillskip to 0
removes this ability. Usually \parfillskip has infinite
stretchability.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping