The more I think about it --Cute! so:
TransformerIdentityImpl has setErrorListener(), being extended from
Transformer
org.xml.sax.XMLReader() has setErrorHandler()

Someone's definitely not using them appropriately (?-- Xalan?)

To think that this may all boil down to one line of code missing:

reader.setErrorHandler( (ErrorHandler) this.getErrorListener() );

;-P

Cheers,

Andreas