Sounds very interesting. Would you consider sharing what you already
have? This may help us in the general discussion and may be a good
starting point.

My problem is that I have to deliver working page breaking with keeps,
breaks, multi-column, adjustable spacing etc. in a relatively short
period of time.

On 04.03.2005 11:09:42 Luca Furini wrote:

> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I'd like to ask if we could hold to a brainstorming conference
> >call on page breaking either Sunday evening or next Monday or Tuesday
> >somewhere between 8:00 and 24:00 CET. Of course, on my wish list there
> >are Simon, Finn and Luca. I'm happy to call either of you on your normal
> >phone via SkypeOut if you don't have broadband. I hope I can get at
> >least one of you three on the line.
>
> I'v very interested in page breaking, and I would be happy to contribute.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not much used to speaking english :-(, so I think I
> would be much more comfortable with the idea of communicating via written
> words!
>
> As I have said before (or maybe I forgot to ...) I have done a few
> experiments trying to use Knuth's algorithm in page braking, and I have a
> working implementation which handles only some block level formatting
> objects (blocks and lists) and simplified documents (no footnotes or
> floats, at the moment, and pages with equal length and width), but it has
> some (I hope) interesting features: for example, it is able to adjust the
> number of lines used for each paragraph in order to both fill the pages
> and avoid orphans and widows.
> In a few words, using the box - penalty - glue model it is possible to
> represent paragraphs with an adjustable number of lines.
>
> I started working on it a few months ago, and I could not keep it updated
> with all the changes, but if you are interested I could try and recreate
> these features using the most recent code. Anyway, this could be done
> after we have reached a basic implementation.
>
> Regards
>     Luca

Jeremias Maerki