Thanks. But well, I've just realized that I neglected a certain aspect
of table layout in my preparations which turns out not to be so simple.
Some might have seen my notes on the Wiki about breaking cells [1]. This
was done while I was still thinking in terms of the old approach. Now
with the Knuth element lists the problem presents itself in a different
look. We've got to build a combined Knuth element list for a table row
from element lists of the individual cells. Turns out to be relatively
straight-forward if you only deal with fixed width boxes and normal
penalties. As soon as stretch/shrink flows into the equation things look
like they can get real messy. I'm currently preparing two different
approaches for discussion (will appear on [1]). I wonder how Luca
handled lists which is a similar problem.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/TableLayout