Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Don't worry, I'm not trying to solve auto table layout. Take line-height
on a block or block-progression-dimension on an external-graphic, for
example. Both support min/opt/max values which means that the generated
vboxes can (theoretically) get stretch and shrink, too. I don't think we
have code for this, yet, but still the page breaking algorithm can work
with it (or rather with appended special glue elements). Of course, in
an initial implementation we would probably not take this into account
(for table cells) but I want to think about it because it may tell me if
there's a better approach to take than the one I'm currently favoring.
My post is almost ready so I can explain in detail...

I see now. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me.

Chris