<snip />
> So, it seems that instead of a complication this is a simplification:
> spaces between list items are added regardless of existing spaces due to
> their block content, right?

That is indeed how I would interpret it. They should always be calculated
separately, then added.
In yet other words: the offset due to the space-before on the first (or
space-after on the last) block area in the list-item is measured from the
edge of the content rectangle of that list-item, not the previous or
following one (To avoid possible headaches when resolving precedence and
conditionality rules?)

Cheers,