Ah, then it would have been preferable to send the question to fop-users.
I've quickly put together a test file with two columns and text-indent
but I don't see any problems. You can really make our lives easier if
you post a minimal example which shows your problem. Otherwise, it's
really difficult to help. And to answer your first question: No, I don't
know of any known issues for text-indent but then, I'm not all-knowing
especially what 0.20.5 is concerned. :-)