Will,

we haven't had any chance, yet, to write more than design documentation
on 1.0dev. 1.0dev uses Jakarta Commons Logging [1] as logging framework.
This means that on a standard JDK 1.4 (or higher) system JCL uses JDK
logging as its backend by default. For this case you'd have to look up
the documentation for JDK logging [2]. It's pretty easy to supply your
own logger of choice. The JCL documentation will tell you how to do that.

In contrast to Avalon loggon JCL logging uses more or less the same
approach as Log4J which normally fetches the logger per class into a
static variable. That's why you can't set a logger directly on the
Driver (or rather Fop now) instance.

I believe that until the final 1.0 release it is possible that in the
area of logging of few things may still change. Probably not the use of
JCL but maybe a specialized facility to observe the formatting process
programmatically. There's nothing written in stone about that, yet. And
until then, consider 1.0dev a moving target. Suggestions and help are
welcome.

HTH

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/ (version 1.0.3)
[2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/util/logging/index.html