You've convinced me. I'm goint to revert that change.

On 26.06.2005 18:22:30 Glen Mazza wrote:
> I would recommend its removal, but am OK with it if you wish to keep it in.
>
> The warning message says: "Ignoring span attribute on <whatever> as it's
> not a direct child of an fo:flow"
>
> But it doesn't need to be a direct child of an *fo:flow* in
> particular--just a flow (fo:flow or fo:static-content).  The spec says
> 7.20.4:  "This only has effect on areas returned by a flow; e.g.
> block-areas generated by fo:block children of an fo:flow."  I think the
> purpose of this 7.20.4 sentence to prohibit using the "span" attribute
> for areas not returned by flows:  such as bookmarks, page sequence
> titles, and the like.

I disagree here. I believe the 7.20.4 comment is to limit the use of
"span" to make the implementation easier. This way we can simply check
all child LMs in the FlowLM for "span" changes before the element lists
are generated. The restriction doesn't prohibit anything. It only says
where the property has no effect.