On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:20:19AM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 07.08.2005 20:41:42 Simon Pepping wrote:
> > I have always commented this test out in my working copy. I do not
> > like tests that actually (also) test the exact innards of certain
> > Xerces and Xalan versions.
>
> They were not supposed to check the innards of certain Xerces and Xalan
> versions. The tests check the basic functionality of the FOP API. Given
> that most of the directy dependencies on the input source are now removed
> (only getDefaultHandler() remains) we can probably remove some of those
> methods, especially the DOM-related ones. Do you agree?

That is right. Since FOP receives the data in all cases as a SAX
content handler, the different tests do not make a difference for FOP
anymore.

> > I have got several copies of those two on my system, and I use them
> > via the endorsed-dirs mechanism. Some scripts use a different copy
> > than others, and for me FOP should just work with any recent parser
> > and transformer.
>
> That's right, but there's simply the fact the there were a lot of little
> bugs in the TraX portion of Xalan WRT DOM. There's not much we can do
> about that in FOP.

That could be. I have just worked around the annoyance that the test
failed for reasons that I could not understand or change. But this
means that people get exceptions when they do this kind of work with
FOP and older versions of X + X. That is indeed a reason to upgrade
them in FOP's distribution.

> > IMHO An upgrade of the jars in FOP does not solve the
> > problem of this test file.
>
> Any additional ideas?

Not really, esp. if it is suspected that it is a bug in X + X.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl