On 09.08.2005 11:55:55 Manuel Mall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just converted the bgimg300dpi.jpg image using Photoshop into PNG,
> BMP, EPS, TIF and GIF formats and tried to include those as e-g.
>
> PNG and TIF seem to be working although they are shown at a different
> size than the original JPEG.

Please check that the DPI/resolution settings in the different versions
of the file are not different and if they are evaluated by the analyzer
at all.

> EPS shows blank.

For PDF, that is to be expected. Acrobat Reader doesn't have a
PostScript interpreter, and we don't, either. GhostScript should display
the EPS in the PDF, though. And the EPS should show up when rendered
using the PS Renderer (although that one is not yet up-to-date).
Furthermore, the use of EPS is deprecated by newer PDF specs. Newer
Acrobat versions might not even pass the EPS files through to the
printer when printing on a PostScript printer.

> BMP and GIF cause
> exceptions.

That's not so good.

> Is this something worthwhile to further investigate or are these known
> issues not considered important at the moment?

I consider this relatively important. There are certain problems in
image handling ATM. Some things to keep in mind:
- images may be highly renderer-dependant (PDF can directly embed JPEG
and EPS, PostScript, too, Java2D cannot etc. etc.)
- It's important to note what kind of image library you have present
(none, JAI, JIMI). There is some overlap in what which library supports
which image format and which gets priority in which case. :-)
- Again, the Wiki task list contains hints that there are certain things
to be done (look for "graphics" under "Layout of"):
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPProjectTasks