Welcome!

What I didn't tell you earlier today when you wrote to me was that
Manuel Mall and I have already done most of that work during the last
few days. There are still a few TODO items in the compliance document
itself some of which Manuel already addressed by writing testcase. There
are certainly a few other details left to be sorted out but I think
we're almost fine. However, having test cases especially for certain
properties (like baseline-shift and the whole whitespace-related set of
properties) would be really good to have.

What I would like to suggest to you is that you set up FOP Trunk (from
SVN) on your machine together with the latest Forrest release.

Docs on doc management are here:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/doc.html

When you're done with that familiarize yourself with the layout engine
test cases in the test/layoutengine directory. The following Wiki page
will help you understand who that stuff works:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/HowToCreateLayoutEngineTests

About how to find out about the capabilities of FOP trunk is not quite
straight-forward because we obviously don't have too much documentation,
yet? :-) Source of information are the layout engine test cases, the
source code and us developers. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We're
glad to have people around us to help us.

I assume you're already a FOP user, so if you have FO documents to run
through FOP, please do that and help us identify problem points.
Creating isolated, minimal test cases out of these problems is a big
step towards documenting and fixing them.