Jeremias Maerki wrote:
1. IIRC Ant allows property definitions outside tasks
Just do it. :-)

Well, there's still my antiquated ant-fu... I'd like to tap the
collective wisdom, just in case I missed something important.

In particular with regard to the directory layout:
 how stable should it be considered?
Well, I'd say we have more liberty now to change anything than after the
next release. If you see anything that needs fixing, let's fix it.

The point was: if pathnames are hardcoded all over build.xml,
moving stuff around might unintentionally break some targets,
as happened with the hyphenation stuff. If the directory layout
is stable, there's much more freedom to kill properties for
directory layout control.

I like stuff likely to be overridden be documented in build.properties
as template for a build-local.properties. I use that pattern a log.
People should simply be able to copy build.properties to
build-local.properties and adjust the values therein without a lot of
searching stuff together.

Well, I seem to have recognized a trend that a sensible default is
hardcoded in the main program (or buildfile), while property files
for user customization contain documentation and sample values
for overridable settings but everything is commented out.

I think the hyphenation patterns were supposed to be in the fop-hyph.jar
which can be used or replaced by the one offered by OFFO. AFAIK, there's
no need for a fop.xconf to be compiled into the fop.jar anymore with the
Avalon, uhm, Excalibur-style configuration. I wonder how many people
actually used the possibility to compile the configuration into the JAR
file. This seems very unflexible to me.

I see. It seems I killed the fop-hyph.jar target prematurely.
Is the spin off of the serialized hyphenation patterns the
start of a trend which will end with a fop-core.jar, fop-api.jar,
fop-pdfrenderer.jar, fop-j2drenderer.jar, fop-awt-application.jar,
fop-cli.jar, fop-anttask.jar and, of course, a fop-all.jar? :-)

J.Pietschmann