Now that I got my memory back, I was actually the one starting the vote
to remove all this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=111079476222548&w=2

I got tired of dealing with the licensing hell on hyphenation patterns.
I hated this so much I even unconciously banned all this from my brain.
D'oh.