I can't talk for Luca, but I don't think we have explicit design docs
for that part. I think there is some useful content in the mail archives
(search for "Knuth"). Other than that, I realized that the algorithm
described in Knuth's "Digital Typography" is now in our codebase quite
literally (although by now with some extensions). I had no trouble
tracing back code parts to the book. Understanding the algorithm itself
as described by Knuth gets you 80% of the way to start the
implementation as I see it.