On 18.08.2005 17:32:54 Manuel Mall wrote:
> I am currently looking at the XSL-FO spec with respect to resolving
> percentages in property values because it was mentioned on this list that
> the current system in FOP needs improvements. For many properties the spec
> refers to the 'closest ancestor block area that is not a line area'. This
> again is the same as 'containing block'. However, I also came across a
> description saying 'closest area ancestor that was generated by a
> block-level formatting object'. Now are these the same things:
> 'closest ancestor block area that is not a line area' == 'closest area
> ancestor that was generated by a block-level formatting object'? It sounds
> to me like they are the same or do I miss some subtle difference?

It's probably the same although I can't shake the feeling, either, that
there could be a subtle difference. But I'm pretty sure that the intent
is for it to have the same effect. I think it boils down to having good
test cases which document all the different possibilities. Based on
these we can in time find out if there are indeed some differences by
looking at each and every case.

BTW, my original mail to suggest a refactoring of the percentage
handling mechanism (just for reference):
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=110630658730554&w=2

I don't claim that my proposal is the right way to pursue this but I
still think it probably offers the best flexibility even if it probably
complicates the layout managers a bit.

Thanks for looking at this. It's on my list but not for just now.