The "API discussion" thread around 2005-08-03 trailed off. I'd like to
revive it again because I feel that is something that needs to be done.

Anybody against moving the CLI to a org.apache.fop.cli package?

The only issue I see when doing this is that FOP's API then still
resides in the org.apache.fop.apps package which is sort of unintuitive
then. "apps" would suggest a command-line application IMO but we're then
only talking about an API. In the end it comes back to the discussion
about the API. Is the API ok like it is? Is it in the right package?

We've already broken API compatibility so changing packages (I'm
thinking think about org.apach.fop, removing "apps") shouldn't be a big
deal before the first release.

Anybody against my adding support for selecting the renderer by the use
of the MIME type (in addition to the current integer constants) and
adding a renderer discovery (similar to FOP extensions and what I
recently added for the XMLHandlerRegistry)?

On the other side, maybe we should really take the time to write up a
short specification for the API and to have that voted on. After all,
this is the main entry point into FOP. If anybody could take the lead on
this, I'd be very grateful as I have my hands full enough already. I can
still do it myself, if really nobody can be found to do it. But I'd
really not do all that stuff in a "lonely rider" fashion.