Victor Mote a écrit :
As I understand the spec, this works differently from font-weight and can be resolved in the FO Tree: just select the next expanded value for "wider" or next condensed for "narrower". The font selection would be performed only after, when it is time to decide e.g. which font the keyword "semi-expanded" matches. That's true that it is an extra-feature that IMO can be simulated with a good font configuration file.

Just to be clear, I understand your last sentence to be addressing a
different topic than the first part of this statement. That is, font
configuration won't be at all involved with the *resolution* of font-stretch
in what you have proposed. However, it may be involved from the standpoint
of implementing a resolved font-stretch value in that font-stretch could be
simulated using PostScript or PDF text parameters. Did I understand this
correctly?

Yes, except the end: we agree that it would not be the purpose of the font config file to solve font-stretch. What I meant is that we could use a workaround by specifying different font families for expanded fonts; e.g. one family Times-Normal and one Times-Expanded, instead of one family Times with to font-stretch variants, Normal and Expanded. The user, instead of changing the font-stretch property, would change the font-family.

For all of this, probably the best approach is for someone to do exactly
what you have done above: suggest changes to the interface that will provide
the information needed.

I'll put the problems of font-stretchability and glyph substitution on my personal todo list. I may consider those problems later, when I'm (at last!) finished with the font integration work.