To add something to this: A border is never part of padding in FO. But
border plus padding define the position of the content rectangle. In the
case of the collapsing border model the content rectangle is defined by
half the width of the collapsed border plus the padding (for each side).
(see "Constraints" for fo:table-cell in the spec).

BTW, we can't really talk about something being broken as long as the
implementation is not finished, yet. The collapsing border model is WIP
after all.