On 29.08.2005 01:39:05 Stephen Denne wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a developer of a mass-printing product that uses our own customised
> versions of FOP 0.20.5.
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > As you know I'm currently updating the PostScript renderer.
> > I'd like to
> > create a few FOP extensions for outputting custom PostScript
> > code at key
> > places so people doing mass-printing can insert media
> > selection code and
> > stuff like that into the PostScript stream.
>
> My initial thought is that this sounds like it would be very useful to me.
>
> I have code to parse the generated output postscript, looking for particular
> DSC comments, and inserting postscript at appropriate places.

I've done the same in the past. I know quite a few other people do it,
too. This is the first step towards not having to post-process the
generated PostScript at all.

> The postscript I'm inserting is mostly based on information that isn't
> available during rendering by FOP, so even with the FOP extensions you
> propose, I would still have to follow the same post-rendering process. The
> ability to clearly identify the appropriate locations in the postscript with
> our own comments would help though.

So please help us with the development or at least share with us your
concrete requirements! Maybe yours are different than mine.

> The sample you provide for media selection would provide a solution to a
> client's requirements, but I'm expecting to have to make another change to
> v0.20.5 to do a similar thing, before 1.0 is production ready.
>
> <snip/>
>
> > That should cover most of the common requirements in this area. If
> > anyone needs custom code in the Trailer or PageTrailer this is easily
> > added later.
>
> I could probably make use of these too, and wonder why you would defer
> adding them till later, when it would be quicker and easier to add and test
> them at the same time as the headers?

For now, I only need the two I've currently specified. You're welcome to
specify and later implement additional elements. The Wiki page with the
specification is open to be modified by anyone (except Wiki spammers, of
course):
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

> In addition, the ability to say where the added postscript code is to go
> would be useful. e.g. first thing in the page vs. last thing in the page.

Are you talking about adding PostScript code for OMR marks or other
marks to control the packaging process?