Firstly, thank you all for your suggestions.

All your interesting replies led me to this conclusion:

- in most cases, it is enough to make some local adjustments in each line containing page-numbers or page-number-citations;

- sometimes, when a particularly elegant output is needed, it would really be desirable to have a two-steps algorithm, with line-breaking performed again once the actual width of each object is known.

So, I'll start implementing the "general purpose" solution, storing the needed information inside an object (rather than directly as new attributes of areas) so as to reduce memory usage.

Regards
    Luca