Manuel Mall wrote:
The font class provides a width method to determine the width of a character but how do I figure out the height of a character?

IIRC the height of an individual character doesn't matter. Well,
for the possible exceptions of characters leaking outside the font
boxes, like uppercase umlauts and many other accented characters.
For all other cases, only the font height measurements should matter,

For leader-style="dots" everything is basically user agent defined. Fop uses the dot character from the current font which is a sensible selection IMO.

I think there is a difference between leaders using the dot character
(for the "foo...page 19" style) and a leader which is a dotted line
(rule-style=dotted). THe rule-thickness only applies to the second
leader style.

J.Pietschmann