Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your input. I'm forwarding your request to the aXSL list. I agree with you that this kind of information is relevant to the font used, and that this should be provided by the font system. I guess that this should be available in the OpenType format; for the other formats this will have to be computed or defined in the config file.

For now I'm still hoping to have FOrayFont integrated in the pre-release; I'm currently working with Victor to meet the needs of the Postscript renderer. If I haven't succeeded in one week I'll change my strategy: learn pdf, postscript, font formats and work more on API improvements like this one.

BTW, I believe the required renderers for the pre-release are the following:
* pdf
* ps
* awt
* rtf
Have I forgotten one?

Vincent

Manuel Mall a écrit :
Vincent,

this is more "just for the record". To do all this alignment stuff (XSL-FO spec 7.13) correctly we need various baseline information (tables). And it all starts with the font, i.e. for each font we need to know its default baseline and where all the other baselines are for that font (actually on a per glyph basis or at least on a per script basis). None of this information is currently exposed in the font API, neither the current FOP Font nor AFAICT in axslFont. There is certainly no point in modifying the current FOP Font object as it will be superseded by your work in due course. So I hope axslFont and its first implementation FOray Font will take a lead here :-). This is further complicated by most fonts not having this sort of information embedded in their font files. So there must be other means of deriving it as well (algorithmic?, external font config files?, ...).

Manuel