Luca,

not sure if this is it but in CommandLineOptions we have:

if (System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.Log") == null) {
     logFactory.setAttribute("org.apache.commons.logging.Log",
                                 CommandLineLogger.class.getName());
       setLogLevel("info");
}
log = LogFactory.getLog("FOP");

i.e. the log instance is created after the call to setLogLevel(...). But
setLogLevel starts with:
if (log instanceof CommandLineLogger) {

so you are hitting a likely NPE here.

Manuel