On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:17 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I read it like this: The areas generated by inlines are always
> children of line areas. Since only line areas can define the
> before-edge and after edge baselines, areas generated by inlines have
> to retrieve these two baselines from their parent line area. I
> believe this is some kind of implied inheritance. Disclaimer: I
> haven't studied the whole topic!

Jeremias, this doesn't quite gel with me as I don't think inheritance
can be involved. alignment-adjust is about answering the question:
Where is my alignment-point within the area(s) I am generating.

This question cannot (IMO) be answered relative to inherited baseline
tables (some of those inherited baselines may even be well outside of
the area the fo in question is generating).

> On 28.09.2005 06:11:40 Manuel Mall wrote:
> > This is another of those spec interpretation questions. Sorry to
> > populate this list with so many of these questions but this is a
> > source of real irritation for me in the moment. I just want to get
> > sub/superscripts working and do it properly and I am hitting all
> > these "murky" (as Peter put it) things in the spec.
> >
> > Here we go again. In 7.13 the spec defines the various baselines.
> > In that section it says: "There are, in addition, two computed
> > baselines that are only defined for line areas." and then goes on
> > about those two baselines being "before-edge" and "after-edge".
> >
> > We then come to 7.13.1 alignment-adjust and "before-edge" and
> > "after-edge" are valid values. However, the alignment-adjust
> > property applies only to inline fo's. And inline fo's don't
> > generate line areas. As the alignment-adjust property applies to
> > the area generated by the fo (not like the alignment-baseline
> > property which applies to the parent area) none of the areas
> > generated by the fo's in question will have those baselines
> > defined. The text also implies that i-f-o and and e-g have the
> > "after-edge" as their dominant baseline. For the "auto" setting we
> > are allowed to use heuristics to determine where the baseline is
> > but that option is not open to the other values. So, what's the
> > point of having "before-edge", "after-edge" as allowed values if
> > those baselines are guaranteed not to be defined (and even use them
> > as default for e-g and i-f-o)?
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel