Hi,

I have a problem with a number of examples on the Wike space
resolution examples page. I wonder if I have a major misunderstanding.

In general, I have a different idea about the retain
condition. Retained spaces do not appear between areas returned by the
FO; all spaces appear before or after all areas returned by the
FO. This is different from retained padding and borders.

* Example 0

IMHO it should be: Here we look at the case where a break
happens before "before break".

* Example 1

IMHO it should be: The break after "first line" does not
produce a 10pt space because the space is conditional.

and my element list is (case 'All spaces are conditional'):

box w=lh for "first line"

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility after "first line"

glue w=10pt for the space in case there is no break

box w=lh for "before break"

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility after "before break"

box w=lh for "after break"

* Example 2

My element list is (case 'Only the first space is conditional'):

box w=lh for first block

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility

box w=0
penalty p=INF
aux glue w=10pt for space-before

box w=lh for "before break"

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility after "before break"

box w=lh for "after break"

* Example 3

Break between the blocks:

Both space specifiers are conditional, and are suppressed due to rule
1 in 4.3.1.

My element list is (case 'All spaces are conditional'):

box w=lh for first block

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility

glue w=10pt y=0 z=0

box w=lh for second block

* Example 4

Break between the blocks:

The first space specifier is retained, the second is conditional, and
is suppressed.

My element list is (case 'Only the second space is conditional'):

box w=lh for first block

glue w=10pt y=0 z=0

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility

box w=lh for second block

* Example 5

Break between the blocks:

Both space specifiers are retained.

That means that with a break we have more space than without a break,
and we need a negative glue (glue #2) to compensate this.

My element list is (the full case glue #1 - penalty - glue #2 - box -
PENALTY - glue #3):

box w=lh for first block

glue w=10pt y=0 z=0

penalty w=0 p=0 for the break possibility

glue w=-10pt y=0 z=0

box w=0
penalty w=0 p=INF
glue w=10pt y=0 z=0

box w=lh for second block

* Example 8

The space-before of the block with "second line" is conditional, and
therefore is suppressed.

My element list is (case 'All spaces are conditional'):

box w=lh for first line

aux glue w=6pt y=0 z=0

box w=lh for second line

Regards, Simon