I can only comment on some parts as I still don't have every aspect of
this topic present. All in all this looks good and this will be a cool
addition to FOP's feature set. :-)

Concerning super/subscript, there are values in the PFM file of Type 1
fonts (Extended Text Metrics in Adobe Technical Note #5178):

etmSuperScript
etmSubScript
etmSuperScriptSize
etmSubScriptSize