On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 04:23 am, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >> What we also need for proper script support is a mapping from
> >> Unicode code point to script.

> >> (has this been done in FOP before?)
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> Have a look at
>   http://people.apache.org/~pietsch/linebreak.tar.gz
>
> Occasionally I've thought about some sort of Jakarta commons
> Unicode file component, but the guys there weren't all that
> enthusiastic about this, and I've not enough time to get
> the ball rolling all of my own.

Joerg,

thanks for that.

Do I understand this correctly that you use a Java code generation
approach here. That is you generate Java source code from the Unicode
text files which is then compiled as part of the line breaking code?

Not so sure I like that but then again if it works. For me this type of
stuff feels more like pure data but of course we don't want to parse
these text files each time FOP loads. What about the hyphenation
pattern approach? Store it as a serialized object and treat it more
like a resource? Accessing that should be comparable in time to class

I haven't studied your code in detail but could we / should we integrate
this into the FOP trunk to support 'Unicode compliant' line breaking?

My main goal still is to make FOP happen therefore I wouldn't like to
dilute my effort / time in trying to argue / establishing another
commons subproject at the moment. What about we create a
org.apache.fop.unicode package for the time being where we keep unicode
specific support stuff? That can then at a later stage be refactored
into a commons subproject if the time/will/energy is there.

> J.Pietschmann

Manuel