On Oct 8, 2005, at 10:24, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I think it's not that simple in the Knuth approach because you cannot
just switch off the breaking as a paragraph is always broken as a whole
("total fit" in Knuth's terms). The easiest would be to simply generate
a zero-width box for the no-wrap inline followed by a hard break. This
would work fine for the text-align="start" case but probably not for the
other cases. The problem: as soon as the breaker gets a line that is
wider than the available IPD it breaks the element to the next part/line
which is not necessarily expected here.

Nope. Then again, it depends on other props as well: "clip" and "overflow", and there again, we seem to be hitting one of those dreaded twilight-zones in the Rec. "wrap-option" is applicable to fo:inline, but "clip" and "overflow" are applicable to "block-level or replaced elements" --and if that isn't enough: they're *not* inherited.

OTOH, how does a no-wrap look like in case of a text-align="justify"?

Very interesting question...

Hmm. At any rate, the first step would probably be to create elements inside the no-wrap inline so that it behaves like a keep-together.within-line="always". Stuff to think
about....as if we lack that. :-)

:-)

Cheers,