Further on this topic -
It appears that the 1.0 spec has some deficiencies in the area of
whitespace treatment. This has been recognized by the WG as summarized
in this post to xsl-editors:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2003JulSep/0012.
Again it was Karen who initiated the discussion and it took the WG 3/4
of a year to clarify and respond. Any way the changes outlined in the
post have made it into the 1.1 draft. What does it mean for FOP? IMO
the changes don't modify the intended meaning of the properties and
line building rules in 1.0. They just clarify them and make them less
ambiguous. We should therefore implement according to the 1.1 WD
descriptions. One interesting effect of the 1.1 changes is that the
whole whitespace treatment has been moved to the line building / area
tree construction and out of refinement.

Manuel