On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:40 am, Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:15:47AM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:
<snip/>
> linefeed-treatment is a local operation on a single character.

Yes

> white-space-collapse does not cross FO boundaries because the spec
> limits this to sibling character FOs.

Yes, but

&#x20<fo:character character=" ">

are fo character siblings in the XSL-FO sense but not fop internally.
The suggestion to move white space handling to inline will not cover
this case.

> Only white-space-treatment extends beyond FO boundaries, but its
> treatment in handleWhitespace is only the first stage. At line
> building it needs to be revisited.
>
> That means that theoretically handleWhitespace can be done within
> each FO.

Not quite - see above - because fops internal distinction between text
and fo:character.

> But practically it may be better to wait until we have
> settled ideas about this stage, scanning for linebreak opportunities
> and gathering of Knuth elements.

I am still of the opinion we are better off to do as much white space
handling, including white-space-treatment during refinement. Only
white-space-treatment around "soft breaks" need to be deferred to the
line breaking phase during layout.

> Simon

Manuel