I believe the current behaviour is (almost) correct. First, you've
already found out yourself why the outer table border is correctly
positioned (due to margin="0pt"). Second, the 2.5pt gap is correct as is
described in fo:table:

"If the value of the "border-collapse" property is "separate" the border
is composed of two components. The first, which is placed with the
inside edge coincident with the outermost table grid boundary line, has
the width of half the value for the "border-separation" property. It is
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
filled in accordance with the "background" property of the fo:table.
Second, outside the outermost table grid boundary line is placed, for
each side of the table, a border based on a border specified on the
table."

However, this 2.5pt gap is not applied in b-p-d, only in i-p-d. I'll
look into that.

It's interesting that CSS seems to say that the border-spacing is only
used between adjacent table-cells, not between the outer cells the
border's padding area. This looks like a contradiction. But then, the FO
spec takes precedence.