On 22.11.2005 15:39:24 Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:12:05AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Hi Dalibor
> >
> > Good thing you're still lurking! :-)
> >

> Well, FOP is very interesting for me in terms of having a free DocBook
> toolchain on free runtimes that's well maintained. If you are around at
> FOSDEM, it'd be great to have a small talk about FOP, Batik, XML
> graphics and free runtimes, what works, what we still need, which areas
> would need more work, etc.

I currently don't have plans for that. But I'll look into it. In the
meantime, I'm always available here on the mailing list and via Skype.
I've also set up a Wiki page where we can track all the issues involved
here. Help is welcome.

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/GnuClasspathCompatibility

<snip/>

> > > Yup. I was under the impression that the XML graphics project would help
> > > work around the most dire problems, though. Right?
> >
> > As much as we can, anyway. I'm working on that. I don't think I'll be
> > able to help improving IKVM. GNU Classpath might be easier to help with,
> > but then I still don't have a clue how to work with GNU Classpath on
> > Windows (Cygwin only coming with GCC 3.x, not 4.0). I haven't had the
> > time to help myself to a true Unix environment, yet. I've got access to
> > two Unix systems, both of which don't have GCC/GCJ installed and I have
> > limited knowledge on unixish systems to simply know how to install
> > additional software (if I'm allowed at all). And then I hate C/C++ and
> > having to apply patches before I can compile some software. :-) So this
> > means that it takes a lot of nerves to go after this.
>

> Heh, I know, I know ... I can't build Kaffe on Cygwin without a patched
> up jikes, with Davanum's patches from CVS, etc... I need to pickup my
> conversation with Cygwin packagers to see if we can get Kaffe packaged
> in there. With the recent CVS head it's possible to use Kaffe with GNU
> Classpath like with JamVM, and other runtimes, but it's still some time
> to go until I release 1.1.7.
>
> I'll play around a bit with gcjx on cygwin, to see if it works better
> than jikes.

Good luck! I'll keep trying myself.

<snip/>