On Dec 18, 2005, at 06:16, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel / Simon,

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:30 am, Simon Pepping wrote:

It is not a formal contradiction, but it feels like one: nbsp should
not have a linebreak around it, but here we have to solve the problem
how to deal with it when it does have a linebreak preceding or
following it.

<snip />
While I still don't quite agree with the statement
'nbsp should not have a linebreak around it' because nbsp surrounded by
whitespace (and therefore surrounded by possible linebreaks) for
example is perfectly legal and sensible in some situations this really
is not important here.

Good point, although that is again a very exceptional situation...

<fo:inline>     &#xA0;    </fo:inline>

Very theoretical. Although one can imagine this occurring, I believe the probability is extremely low.

Does it mean because the Knuth algorithm removes all glues after a
linebreak (and we also remove all glues at the end of a paragraph) a
nbsp should not be modelled not like this:

   pen p=INF
   glue w=...

but like this:

   box w=0 aux=true
   pen p=INF
   glue w=...
   box w=0 aux=true

with the leading box preventing removal at the beginning of a line, the
trailing box prevents removal at the end of a paragraph, and the
penalty prevents a line break.

As far as my understanding of the Knuth algorithm goes, that might be a way to solve it. Even better would be to make the creation of the auxiliary zero-width boxes conditional --depending on whether there are already other boxes surrounding the nbsp (if at all possible). It's really only in the cases where there are no preceding/following boxes that we need special treatment, no? In case of surrounding non- whitespace, the first model would seem to be sufficient.