Well, I don't see any restriction concerning static-content in the spec.
You simply have to make sure that an FO with an id only appears once in
a document. And that is the case if you place it in a static-content
that is used exactly once in a page-master activated by
page-position="last". Hey, maybe I got it all wrong. Wouldn't be the
first time. :-) Anyway, I tested what I described with a certain
commercial FO implementation and it worked.