I read the two definitions in 7.28,3 and 7.28.4 as follows:

label-end() =
  width of the content-rectangle of the reference-area into
    which the list-block is placed
   - (the value of the provisional-distance-between-starts
      + the value of the start-indent
      + start-intrusion-adjustment
      - the value of the provisional-label-separation)
     of the closest ancestor fo:list-block

(that is, as printed in the spec) and

body-start() =
  (the value of the start-indent
   + start-intrusion-adjustment
   + the value of the provisional-distance-between-starts)
  of the closest ancestor fo:list-block

(that is, I added parentheses around the expression so that all are
evaluated on fo:list-block).

Then you can do some math:

label-end() =
  width of the content-rectangle of the reference-area into
    which the list-block is placed
   - (body-start()
      - the value of the provisional-label-separation)
     of the closest ancestor fo:list-block

which gives:

width of the content-rectangle - label-end()
  + provisional-label-separation = body-start()

label-end() is counted from the end of the content-rectangle, and
therefore width of the content-rectangle - label-end() is the distance
of the label end to the start of the content-rectangle. Then

from start of content-rectangle to end of label
  + provisional-label-separation = body-start()

  |                                                     |
  |   +-------+   +-------------------------------+     |
  |   |       |   |                               |     |
  |   +-------+   |                               |     |
  |           .   |                               |     |
  |           .   |                               |     |
  |           .   |                                     |
  |           .<--------------------------------------->|
              .   |       label-end()                   |
   <------------->|
     body-start() |
   <--------->.<->|
        (1)   .(2)|

 (1) = width of the content-rectangle - label-end()
 (2) = provisional-label-separation
 (1) + (2) = body-start()

This is the relation you would expect, which supports my
interpretation.

Sorry for still being at the level of ascii art. Read it in Courier.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl